As the days are getting shorter and various festivities are about to start, now is a good time to consider where you can improve your fire safety measures. This could help with security around your premises too. The Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service have provided these handy tips to ensure you are safe this winter.
- If you run a business with a solid fuel burner ensure that the chimney is cleaned before first use.
- If you are planning on using candles or tea lights we recommend that you switch to using small electrical led candles instead. They are just as effective and are far safer.
- Any decorations you use should be fire resistant. Check labelling to be sure.
- Check external escape doors and routes are cleared of leaf litter.
- If you have an emergency light to repair on to the ‘to-do-list’, ensure that it is repaired and in good working order.
- Consider whether your fire alarm and electrical servicing are due. If they are, ensure the contractor is competent and qualified to carry out the work.
- If you are hosting a party, check that everybody can evacuate safely. Consider the room capacity, and activities within the room.
- Take a moment to remind your staff about fire evacuation and other emergency procedures.
For more useful information and downloads visit the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue website at https://www.derbys-fire.gov.uk/fire-safety-at-work-and-other-places/
You can follow them on Twitter @DFRSFireSafety