The building is the former ‘Iron Gate House’, probably built in the 1740s. It stands on the site of the Leaper family’s residence. In 1670, Thomas Leaper paid tax on nine hearths, as required by the highly unpopular hearth tax then levied on householders. During the 18th and 19th centuries, ‘Iron Gate House’ was a bank.
In 1879, the long-standing ‘Talbot Inn’ next door was acquired and a new bank constructed on the site. Today, it is ‘The Standing Order’. In the 1880s, the tailors Smith and Brigden moved into ‘Iron Gate House’. By 1891, George Brigden was in sole charge. He later served as Mayor of Derby (1911-12). Brigdens remained in these premises until 1997 and still trades in Iron Gate.
There are currently no active offers for this place.
There are currently no upcoming events for this place.