The 17th-century tower and old chancel of this large church are in the care of the CCT – but not the ‘new’ 19th-century church attached to it which was built by Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1895. The tower was built in the Gothic Survival style between 1601-08. The interesting chancel (of the 1690s) retains much of its contemporary woodwork and furnishings, including a superb iron font cover by Robert Bakewell in a side chapel.
St Werburgh’s, cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust (CCT), is an early 18th-century chapel adjoining the disused Victorian church. It contains an elegant Robert Bakewell font cover, an intricately carved wooden screen, a splendid reredos and fine Victorian furnishings. It’s also famous for being the place where Dr Johnson got married. Open most Saturdays 10.30am – 1pm (key from the Museum & Art Gallery at other times). Available as a venue for small exhibitions or concerts. Group tours by arrangement.
There are currently no active offers for this place.
There are currently no upcoming events for this place.